Celebrating the Classics at Celebration! Cinema
Recall the glamour of classical Hollywood, with its leading ladies and charmingly handsome men starring in some of the best movies ever… now, Celebration! Cinema has them on the big screen!
When our local movie reviewer, John Douglas, retired from the Grand Rapids Press about 3 years ago, he brought us an idea about resurrecting a classics series on the big screen. Celebrating the Classics was born. We now run it with a Winter Series (current), a Spring Series (beginning March 2), a Fall Series and a Holiday Series each year.
This series brings movies in both black and white and dazzling ‘first time’ Technicolor. We show them using our DLP Digital Cinema projectors, on Blu-Ray (if the movie is available in Blu-Ray) or widescreen DVD.
About the Hosts
John introduces each movie to the audience at Celebration! North, and he includes some great trivia and history that usually ties in with an interview with a star or two who appeared in the movie. We expanded to Lansing last year and Dr. Michael V. Doyle, MSU professor and film historian, introduces our classics there and provides great history and trivia as well.
The series has found a wonderful audience that enjoys the great classics, and the affordable ticket admission, on the big screen in their original splendor. They meet their friends and family each week and are treated to film trivia and introductions by our hosts.
The Spring Series (beginning March 2 with West Side Story) expands the theatres in the Classics lineup, as it will play at Celebration! Cinema Benton Harbor and Mt. Pleasant! Showtimes and days remain the same: Tuesdays and Thursdays at 1:30 pm and 5:45 pm.
The Film Lineup
Celebrating the Classics movies generally are chosen utilizing the AFI Best 100 Films list, although we must have permission from the film companies to license their movies, so some are not available to us. We take requests as well and will be launching a new series at our Celebration! Cinema Woodland in late March or early April. These movies will be more edgy, artsy, diverse – but still fun and worthy! While we’re still finalizing the lineup, I can say that the original Star Trek and Pee Wee’s Big Adventure are just a couple of those movies hitting Woodland’s big screen in all their awe and wonder this spring.
What movies would you like to see us show for a Celebrating the Classics series?
Spread the word:
- @Nolan26Jake @wbpictures @ZackSnyder @BatmanvSuperman loving all the photos! Hope you enjoy the trailer! • 2 hours ago
- RT @Nolan26Jake: #MondayBvSSpecialIMAXEvent @wbpictures @ZackSnyder @CelebrationCnma @BatmanvSuperman http://t.co/LCTAwYyT2F • 2 hours ago
- And so it begins! Guest are now being seated and getting their passes for the #BatmanVSuperman IMAX trailer! http://t.co/ERC357Hb44 • 2 hours ago
- @JimJimBinks @wbpictures Thanks for joining us - tweet us your reactions after the event! • 2 hours ago
- @scaryytino @yodelstrudel You two are some of our most frequent and most vocal on social! Hopefully you are members of the Movie Club! • 3 hours ago